Prevent and treat gingivitis and periodontitis
Periodontal disease, also known as gum disease, has been shown to result in inflamed, bleeding, or receding gum lines. It has also been proven to result in adult tooth loss and is one of the major causes of chronic bad breath. From a health perspective, gum disease has been directly linked to serious medical conditions such as:
- Heart disease
- Pulmonary disease
- Pancreatic cancer
- Pregnancies resulting in premature births.
Signs and Symptons of Periodontal Disease and Gum Disease
The gums and bone supporting the teeth are affected by periodontal disease, which is a chronic bacterial infection. Initial signs of gum disease are typically bad breath, bleeding gums, swollen or recessed gums. Ignoring these symptoms and avoiding treatment has been shown to lead to loosening of the teeth and bone loss. Here’s a detailed list of the most common symptoms:
- Persistent bad breath
- Pain inside the mouth
- Bleeding gums when brushing or flossing your teeth or when eating hard food
- Noticeable spaces developing between the teeth
- Tender or swollen gums
- Receeding gums or teeth appearing to be lengthening
- Pus between teeth and gums
- Movement of teeth when chewing or biting
- Sores developing inside of the mouth
- General movement or flaring of teeth
Dr. Sutton’s Periodontal Disease Treatments
At Sonoma Smiles, Dr. Sutton offers the following treatments for periodontal disease:
- Non-surgical periodontal treatment and laser therapy
- Hygienists who are very gentle and use warm water mico sonic therapy
- Full hour treatments
- Arrestin treatments and nutritional counseling.
- Certified Perio Protect provider
If you’ve experienced any of the symptoms listed on this page, be sure to schedule an appointment with Dr. Sutton so that the severity of your condition can be properly evaluated. If you are due for a professional dental cleaning, be sure to tell the receptionist you’re experience some symptoms of periodontal disease and a note will be placed in your file.
Call today to schedule your appointment!
See our other general dentistry services
Root Canals from Trained Professionals in Rohnert Park, CADr. Sutton and his Sonoma Smiles team offer modern root canal treatment for…
Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa Emergency Dental Care. Dr. Sutton and his dental staff are on call 24/7 for emergency dental procedures. If you are a…
Drill-less Dental Fillings for Cavities in Rohnert Park, CAOne of the biggest fears for most Americans is a visit to the dentist to have a cavity…
A better alternative to Invisalign braces is Six Month Smiles Short Term Orthodontics If you're considering getting braces to correct a less than…